An overview of ingredients for this tasty vegetable
- ½ cup panko bread crumbs
- ¼ cup finely grated Pecorino or Parmesan
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped Italian parsley
- 2 garlic cloves, pressed with a garlic press or grated
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- Creme fraiche or cream cheese 1 small container (Optional)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 package of large mushroom caps or 2 medium size mushrooms. I used baby bella.
- Heat the oven to 400 degrees and line a sheet pan with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, mix the panko bread crumbs, cheese, parsley, garlic, and olive oil. Use spoon or fingers to evenly coat the bread crumbs with them. Taste and then season with salt and pepper. (You might not even want any salt, as the cheese can be pretty salty.)
- Arrange the mushrooms on the sheet pan. Using a teaspoon, fill each cap with the creme fraiche. Divide the seasoned breadcrumb mixture among the mushrooms and press down into the filling. (about 1 tablespoon per mushroom).
- Drizzle the stuffed mushrooms with a little more olive oil and transfer to the oven. Bake until the tops are crisp and golden, about 15 minutes. Remove from the oven and allow to cool for about 5 minutes. Garnish with parsley, if using, and serve warm.